Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: I posted this
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=18599&mesg_id=18628
18628, RE: I posted this
Posted by Mattias, Wed Feb-21-01 10:49 AM
Well well, what have we here?! How convenient! About two months ago I wrote an essay on vegetarianism for school and I then checked what was actually written on this subject in medical papers. *clears throat* Let's just say that there is no doubt that from a strictly nutritional point of view milk is good for you. An adequate calcium intake is necessary for maximizing peak bone mass during the first three decades of life as well as for minimizing subsequent bone loss, and drinking milk is an easy way to obtain all the calcium to need since it is a very rich source of calcium with high bioavailability. For people that doesn't plan their vegetarian diets properly it can also be an important source of proteins. Zink is generally not a problem in vegetarian diets.

On the other hand, there is a positive correlation between dairy product consumption and breast cancer risk. There are a number of possible mechanisms for this; in short milk contains high levels of both estrogens and a hormone called IGF-I which are both thought to be potent stimulators for breast cancer. The high incidences of breast cancer might also be associated with industry-related milk additives.

There you go...