Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectI directly responded to what you said. I don't get it.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=1853&mesg_id=1869
1869, I directly responded to what you said. I don't get it.
Posted by FireBrand, Sun Apr-18-04 11:31 AM
what do you mean? You just restated the spirit of the original post so I just went on with my misgivings for the TYPE of acation taken.

I don't get it...where did you become confused?

>so during the 60's should black folks have just sat in
>meetings in secret and tried to solve problems in the
>privacy of our own homes?

No, that is not what I said. I said the leaders met to discuss a plan of action. Action for the sake of inaction isn't always the best way.

>if we did so, that would have been
>showing RESPECT for the KKK and the american govt (well,
>lets not show up da white man in public!), even though they
>were disrespecting US in public...

If that is the only result you can glean for coming up with an appropriate action plan...I don't know what to say.

>sort of the same thing here: Nelly disrepects black women in
>the open for the world to see, yet you are asking for an
>organized, methodica,l sit-down, behind closed doors
>solution to the problem?

Yes. In fact let me give you an example- just for perspective. My sophomore year at Georgia Southern there was an uproar. The editor of our school paper said that Black History month should be done away with. So, instead of planning...I, and some like minded friends ran to the 'brary and typed a response, and made like 1000 copies and placed them all over campus. didn't even spell check, but I digress....

We then had a meeting. I was a DJ, so I publicized this meeting. This official meeting was after a smaller meeting of the known Black Activists on campus. The second meeting had all the Black social groups, greeks, organizations, etc. We made a plan, took it to a greater group of all of our supporters and put our plan of action into effect including: media coverage, demands, protest route, inclement weather provisions, signs, etc...

The shit got great media coverage in Savannah, locally on Radio, college radio and newspapers. Might have even gotten play in ATL...I don't know. We still didn't cover all the bases though. Nevertheless...the shit went off OK. If we waited one more day we could have come with a MORE powerful agenda and made lasting change.

Instead...ole boy kept his job, and all we got was like a sensitivity training course for on campus media- something that wasn't even observed.

No teeth because of poor planning.

to me it seems like u are COOL with
>nelly sliding his credit card down the ass of a black woman,
>yet when spelman wants to BOYCOTT his ass to let HIM and
>AMERICA know that they aint havin it, you have a problem
>with that...

No, maybe you didn't read what I said. I have NO problem with that. Did you read what I said?

man i wonder where we would be if in private we
>disgussed amongst ourselves how disgusted and tired of being
>hosed down and dumbed down by jim crowe laws during the
>60's, instead of PUBLICLY protesting racist policies...
>
>yall negroes need to stop trying to deify these rappers all
>the damn time man, that NIGGA deserved to get PUBLICLY
>BOYCOTTED for PUBLICLY HUMILIATING black women...

Fuck it. Responding is pointless. You are just str8 running off at the mouth about some bullshit. You obviously didn't read what I said or at least comprehend.

Either that, or you are crazy...perhaps stupid.

----------------------

Support your local hooker, play
Rugby.