Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjecttry to understand
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=18471&mesg_id=18506
18506, try to understand
Posted by guest, Fri Jan-19-01 11:45 AM
"I'm not saying women have to be Badu-esque in every video, either. But why perpetuate the materialistic, gold digging stereotype? If they wanna floss, get close ups of platinum rings, not t & a."

You have to understand that despite your presumption that this is a stereotype this is actually how some of these people live and amuse themselves. For them shaking asses and popping crys is just about as stereotypical as you burning incense or wearing a headwrap. Sure alot of people wear head wraps- doesnt mean they do it for the same reasons, it doesnt even mean that they all have some determination in wearing them; likewise a girl in a video might be a bikini model or a stripper, or even just some random girl on the beach- the same girl that was gettin mad play at the club last night- she's not thinking about how she's damaging society cuz this is just how she is.

I could easily blast Erykah for wearing dread extensions and perpetuating that au natural, afrocentric, self-righteousness while she's popping out illegitimate babies; but that would be wrong- cuz at least she's positive.

She's not positive - she's being herself (clever), shouldnt the women in these videos be allowed to do the same thing? I understand your opinion but I think alot of you step out of the bounds of opinion and start making characterizations of these people that are founded in your morals - not theirs.

its silly to think that someone has to look "gleeful" to you to justify their behavior even though you'll probably never accept the idea that anybody who does this could truly be happy at all.

Im not sayn that you have to change your views or impressions of these people- but if you feel that they are damaging the esteem of our culture- i submit that you may be just as much to blame despite your good intentions.

K