Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectok...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=18471&mesg_id=18505
18505, ok...
Posted by LexM, Fri Jan-19-01 11:00 AM
Let me first say that in my very first post I was largely joking. But since you asked, I'll get serious.

I already cleared up the female body issue. No problem there. And you're right. I can't read their minds. But from my observation, a lot of them look like they aren't too happy about what they're getting paid to do. Maybe they're just trying to look sexy. I don't know. But the most of the "dancers" in, say, Hot Boyz videos don't look as gleeful as the trained dancers in Q-Tip videos.

What I mind is the continued objectification of women in these videos. The idea that since they got to shake their asses and get pinched by the rap star of the day, everything's ok. The idea that hundreds of young men are watching these videos & don't have any role models to tell them that there is much more to womanhood.

What I mind is that these artists have sisters, mothers and aunts.

I'm not saying women have to be Badu-esque in every video, either. But why perpetuate the materialistic, gold digging stereotype? If they wanna floss, get close ups of platinum rings, not t & a.

I don't know if that answers your question, but that's where I am with the whole thing. Besides, I'm a firm believer in "If you don't like it, turn it off."

L.

GO RAVENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"What cements us/is just as important as what prevents us/from being attentive/Cause the spiritual divide causes us all to collide/ in a manner that’s most intensive" ~~WordMosaic

"no matter/whatever/whatever/no...g--girl/u know what I mean" ~~Musiq