Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectOh yeah
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=18263&mesg_id=18335
18335, Oh yeah
Posted by guest, Tue Feb-20-01 09:41 PM
Wow! I just got into it with some folks the other day over this same topic. Why (I asked)--with so many languages and cultures on this earth--would there be "ONE" and only one "TRUE" religion. Why is Christianity the bridge to the "sweet hereafter" for so many black folks? Why are Indigenous African Religions/Culture so threatning to Aframs/Africans alike? People choose to forget that Africans were doing their own thing long before they were beat over the head generation after generation with the likes of Ch...,Ca... and Is... . Total conversion comes about when you have convinced a people that EVERYTHING about them is backwards and wrong. Words like "Ugly", "Dirty", "Barbaric" and "Heathen" have all done a great disservice to the well-being of black people. So many institutions so little time...

"We live the now for the promise of the infinite" --Mos Def

"I'm tryin' to soar to altitudes unknown to man, woman or the most agile of birds" --yours truly

"your people first. a quiet strength. the positioning of oneself so that observation becomes reaction, where study is preferred to night life, where emotion is not seen as a weakness. love for self, family, children and extensions of self is beyond the verbal"
--Haki R. Madhubuti