Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectcolumbus/african sailors/america
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=18248&mesg_id=18248
18248, columbus/african sailors/america
Posted by emil, Thu Feb-22-01 05:00 AM
anyone read van sertima's "they came before...that guy"?

i've yet to read the actual text but have used it as a reference in a few papers.

thoughts on this? olmecs and such? black sailors in pre-columbian california, mexico, central america? reed boats? senegalese surf handlers? chesapeake bay boatbuilders?

this is of interest to me because i'm into boating n such, and most of my family has been as well. from motor to kayak to fishing trawlers to sailboats.... y'kno hampton had the first sailing team at a historically black university? i didn't make it cuz the swim test was too long. *u could say i was a bitch about it.*

anyway, ppl of african descent have a long history of being on the water, as continental trade was strenuous and done overland (via camel) or major riverine arteries. funny how american blacks have no connection with the water even though most of us live near rivers or the ocean. we can't swim worth shit, and boats are a joke harkening back to slavery. i just came across a book called "black sailors"(?) and it's opened my eyes quite a bit. okay, ramble, but jus wanna know thoughts on this.

i mean...i'm sayin tho.