Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectPeople...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=18034&mesg_id=18120
18120, People...
Posted by Nettrice, Mon Feb-26-01 02:14 PM
...in an IDEAL world people would be judged by their spirituality, including the ability to find and connect with their "soul mate" regardless of their color. Sometimes this happens but most times a whole lot of other more superficial characteristics determine attraction (white, light, dark, black, etc.)

In the real world there are thousands of little Black girls that pick white dolls over black ones because society instills self-hatred in them (school, etc.). By the time they are teenagers they have to deal all kinds of pubescent issues along with the fact that they will never be like the light-skinned, white, or bright girls they see on TV, in magazines, etc. These same girls grow up and react negatively to white women with Black men because this affirms to the low self-esteem nurtured in them from school and often at home. How many Black women use the term "good hair" to describe a friend or family member with wavy to straight hair?

Many Black men see the same images and they, too, often prize lighter women or women with long, wavy to straight hair. A Black person has to be really together and aware to value course hair (naps), dark skin, broad noses and other African features. Many white people are raised to value white/European features so they don't understand how these values warp race relations in this society.

This is why interracial relationships draw so much attention, anger, disapproval and controversy. As a Black teenage girl I would only date the darkest Black guys with African features and that was considered rebellion.

A lot of people are acting like these social issues don't exist, that white supremacy doesn't exist and that is the real problem.

"Know thyself"

"Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you or forsake you". So we may boldly say, "The Lord is my helper, I will not fear. What can man do to me?"
-- Hebrews 13:5,6

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path"
--Morpheus in "The Matrix"

"It's our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"- Dumbledore to Harry Potter "Chamber of Secrets"