Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Interracial Luv
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=18034&mesg_id=18093
18093, RE: Interracial Luv
Posted by Nettrice, Sat Feb-24-01 03:24 PM
In some ways you missed the point but that's cool. My relationships with white folks and asian folks and others have been very, VERY close but I was always aware that there was a part of myself that would never be understood or appreciated by white folks.

Being white in a society that puts whiteness on a pedestal it is hard to imagine not knowing yourself, not knowing why society would never let you fit in because you do not fit the picture (as a Black person). When I was a child I was heart broken about it...for a while. It was actually white people who helped me understand I had to turn away from society's standards and illusions to find myself, to love myself, to be open to life. I embraced the kid I saw in the mirror and in time my heart grew stronger and I learned not to hate those who judged me by the skin I am in.

The first thing I learned in school was that Black kids were not in the text books (Dick & Jane= white) and the first pictures I saw on tv were white. Love is not a color but life is often not the same as love. For me love is being who you are, embracing who you are despite society's standards, despite whether or not it makes people uncomfortable.

I am no longer the victim or product of my environment, of society. I am learning what it is like to be free. If you ask any of the non-Black people I have had relationships with they will tell you how open I was even when other's weren't.

"Know thyself"

"Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you or forsake you". So we may boldly say, "The Lord is my helper, I will not fear. What can man do to me?"
-- Hebrews 13:5,6

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path"
--Morpheus in "The Matrix"

"It's our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"- Dumbledore to Harry Potter "Chamber of Secrets"