Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: dead prez guns
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=17506&mesg_id=17548
17548, RE: dead prez guns
Posted by guest, Tue Mar-06-01 11:07 AM
Still,
>even if I can respect
>other gun references, I'll always
>be troubled the "Sharp Shooters"
>chorus. "... it makes
>sure the jakes respect me."
> Man, you shoot a
>cop, you won't be getting
>too much respect from the
>justice system, that's for damn
>sure. They kill brothers
>holding wallets or reaching for
>chicken wings; how you think
>they gonna react to you
>pulling out a piece?
>My advice: Know your rights.
>

there's definitely something to what you're saying. i heard 'sharp shooters' too and thought almost everything could have been better said. something about that line seems a bit premature, even though i believe that in the end it is a true statement. i think the point is to say that if the police is an army in the interest of those who wish to oppress, then we will have to form armies as well to defend and free ourselves. can't do that without weapons and we'll have to understand what guns are really about in order to be cool with having an army. many of us walking around going 'peace' completely ignoring what will have to happen to actually have some of that.

one of the problems may be trying to fit large concepts into the space of a 3-5 minute song that has to reach masses of people at different levels. not an easy task. i think that people who want to analyze their music should also want to analyze the whole of what dead prez is and what they are trying to do. they claim to speak from the point of view of the slave, the hunted, the exploited. i think that this is how their music, message and work should be approached.