Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: dead prez guns
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=17506&mesg_id=17528
17528, RE: dead prez guns
Posted by Chike, Thu Mar-01-01 12:29 PM
>first off, its obvious who dp's
>main target audience is, and
>its not white people, you
>have 2 realize DP's come
>from the gutter, the hood,
>the ghetto, the projects or
>whatever u wanna call it.
>its funny all these so
>called postitive suburbanite for-the-cause activist
>that wanna question and dictate
>what these brothaz say on
>record but dont know what
>it's like @ all 2
>be in their situations...i know
>what u are trying 2
>imply and is what people
>try 2 imply ALL the
>time about dp's is that
>they are hypocritical which is
>a natural reaction 2 peeps
>when they hear the album
>which is drenched in truth
>and reality with no holding
>back, which is why i
>like em...but lets say they
>didnt carry guns 4 the
>sake of them thinken that
>peeps would think they are
>hypocrites? what would they defend
>themselves with? bamboo shoots? knives?
> tree branches?? these brothaz
>come from the ghetto not
>some native american named suburban
>neighborhood like most of the
>okayplayers up on this.....

Remember, this is not about dictating what people can or cannot say. If you think it is, you must think dp is guilty of the same things on songs like "Hip Hop". But you don't, cuz you know dp is not about censorship, they're about freedom of speech. Meaning if they want to comment on something they think is negative in rap, the music that they love, it's their right to do so. Make the connection to you and me.

I'm not sure hypocritical is how I was trying to describe them. If I wanted to call them that, i would refer to the 'nigga' discussion that's also going on in this thread. But I wouldn't wanna get into name-calling like that because (1) these are artists I really respect and (2) you could say that about almost anyone. Any of the musicians we criticize are human and not perfect, just like us. But the question is, what do you think of what they have to say? They put the message out, we as listeners react based on our feelings and values. Obviously their music has touched you in a strong way (hence your nickname). Me too.

But I just don't think it's cool to treat your gun like your first son. I'm naive, I guess. In a situation when you're threatened, you protect yourself, right? But is that all there is to it?