Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: The Treatment of Women in America
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=17453&mesg_id=17454
17454, RE: The Treatment of Women in America
Posted by Nettrice, Thu Mar-08-01 09:35 AM
Thanks for the stats. It seems to me that many people (male and female) are unwilling to really address this issue.

Domestic abuse really rings a chord with me. My father physically and verbally abused most of the women he was involved with, including my half-sisters and my sister. He never hit me and I am just learning why as an adult.

I am sure many people have domestic abuse stories about themselves, their loved ones or acquaintances. I have had to personally address this issue, as a woman who loves her father and her sisters. I am the only female in my family who sought therapy. I was always the observer of the abuse but it still affected me profound ways. I was a fearless girl, a risk taker, independent and confrontational. Recently, I talked to my father about his abuse. It was deep.

How many people understand that the society we live in conditions women to submit to men? Assertive, goal-oriented, self-sufficient women are seen as threats or undesirable. Even if these type of women are heterosexual they are believed to be men-haters or lesbian. On the other hand, women who are passive, obedient, timid, dependent, and passive women are desirable, yet, these are often the women who are mistreated.

My father never physically abused me because he knew I would fight back, even if it meant my life or his life. His verbal abuse had no effect because I did not take it personally. Fortunately, I had 17 years of practice with him so I was able to effectively deal with the rest of the world.

"Know thyself"

"Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you or forsake you". So we may boldly say, "The Lord is my helper, I will not fear. What can man do to me?"
-- Hebrews 13:5,6

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path"
--Morpheus in "The Matrix"

"It's our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"- Dumbledore to Harry Potter "Chamber of Secrets"