Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectCointelpro Papers pgs.1-162
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=17305&mesg_id=17305
17305, Cointelpro Papers pgs.1-162
Posted by nappiness, Mon Mar-12-01 05:37 AM
Okay peeps, let's do this.
-Do you think that the authors method was used to organize and limit the FBI documents was effective? or should they have focused on other movements?

-Did the authors do a good job of providing background information? Were the groups and each movement placed in historical, political, and social context?

-For each Cointelpro program let's consider the following:
a. what were the tactics used?
b. what effect did cointelpro have on the organizations?
c. what effect did factionalism have on each movement?
d. at what point in the movement did the FBI decided to neurtralize leaders and cause havoc?
``````````````````
Puerto Rican Independence Movement, the Cointelpro became formal when the MPIPR and PSP unified. Also, to prevent the unification of Black folks and Ricans a phony document was generated that claimed that most Ricans were not of African descent.

When the Organization of Afro-American Unity and SWP attempted to form an alliance it was foiled by concentraiting on the atheism of SWP.

Black Panther Party was considered the biggest threat to 'national security' when it usnified with SNCC.
`````````````````
-What role do you think the federal government currently plays in the demise of various Movements?

-What organizations do you think are currently on the FBI list and what actions have they taken to neutralize them?

Some general thoughts that I have after reading this book for the second time is that:
a. I think that Dyson's book on Martin Luther King is in a way in direct response to this book. I think this b/c in Cointelpro papers the authors tried to keep the 'legacy and image' of MLK alive by saying that the tapes and documents about his sexual acts were lies and all a scan. Dyson's used numerous FBI documents/tapes/video in his book. So do you think it was all FBI foul play and MLK wasn't a 'sex machine/ho'? or does who is was fucking take away from the struggle and his legacy? I don't think say, like I've said before King was hu(man) just like the rest of us and if he was a 'ho' so what. I am able to seperate the man from his mission.
b. Cointelpro was structured around the same premise as Willie Lynch's 'divide and conquer'. The biggest threat to this country would be a unified front of Black folks and they know it so the 'powers that be' does everything in their power to prevent this.
c. We seriously need to address this 'leaders' issue. Organizations can not exist if there is only one (wo)man defining and running the movement. When Garvey died the UNIA was shot to hell. It should have been a priority of Garvey to have leadership in the making. With all orgs. we must stop putting 'all our all' in one person. There has to be more than one person in the know.
d. When I attended the Black Radical Congress my greatest frustration was the debate over ideologies. I think that it is imp. to find the common ground and tackle problems from the common ground. This is reflected in the FBI tactics of weakening Movements by focusing on the differnces. They know as long as they can keep up the debate over varying ideologies then there will be dissention among oppressed folks.
e. Also, it is important to work with grassroots and local organizations in an attempt to prevent the success of neutralizing local leaders before they are able to consolidate with others.
f. The book also reinforced the point, that you should not believe everything you hear, see, or read. I think that the attack on Farrakhan during the MMM was a good example of this. Forces painted his as a monster, ignoring the potential good of the MMM. Forces tried to keep christian organizations/demoninations and orthodox groups from supporting the MMM b/c of varying beliefs. I am not pro-Farrakhan but I can seperate the man and the religion from the mission.
g. I am wondering why the attack on Jesse Louis right now. It can't be b/c of his disapproval of Bush's appointments. This Jackson issue with the baby and taxes is far deeper. But why now?

WE WILL DISCUSS PAGES 163-328 ON MARCH 26TH

April's book is THE HAUNTING OF HIP HOP: A NOVEL--- BY BERTICE BERRY. TO START ON APRIL 24TH
Join in on the discussion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
--------sig-----------
Monthly BOOK DISCUSSION in OkayActivist
March 12th
Conintelpro Papers by Ward Churchil and Jim Vander Wall
GET YO READ ON .........
------------
If U WANNA ACTIVATE, contact ChicagoActivist
Email us: chicagoactivist@africana.com
Check out the website:
http://chicagoactivist.cjb.net/
Call us: 1-312-777-4001 ext 4409
NEXT MEETING TBA