Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectroots, culture, and white suburbs
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=17235&mesg_id=17254
17254, roots, culture, and white suburbs
Posted by guerilla_love, Fri Mar-09-01 11:14 AM
to me suburbs mean sacrifice. means sacrificing time and priorities in order to work and earn money. sacrificing these things for material success.

oftentimes suburban kids grow up feeling un-nurtured and unconnected because their working parents didn't have the time to spend with them that they needed, or maybe there was a huge gulf between child and family due greatly to social conventions-

it does take a whole village to raise a child, and children who barely got their parents attention much less the attention of a village of parents, as in communities where all the neighbors raise all the kids, feed all the kids, watch all the kids, discipline all the kids, etc.

a lot of suburban kids grow up feelin like if they turned and walked away their parents firsrt concern would be what people think and the second would be the child

people who are afraid of emotions avoid them like the plague but they are very natural and very real

i think that as a kid i was very jealous of my minority friends' communities because i felt no sense of community in my own life

i worry that a lot of people don't grow from that point, and people can be very dangerous at that point

==**peace**==

"Words without work is not enough." Sizzla

There is more danger in the word exotic than in a sharpened machete --me

"The logic of divide and rule is still valid today." Capleton

DPP; DomePoem Poets; Vibe Nation; One ppl under the spoken word