Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjecthmmmm...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=17235&mesg_id=17239
17239, hmmmm...
Posted by shepoet, Fri Mar-09-01 03:49 AM
>so we're moving out to the
>burbs, where communities are diversifying
>and rents are getting more
>affordable. i'm interested to see
>what happens with the school
>systems.

lookit p.g. county. perfect example of what happens. 20 years ago, p.g. was about 80%white, 20 black.....now, those numbers are reversed and the school system has gone to hell. As blacks moved from the city to places like fort washington and oxon hill to achieve the house and picket fence, whites moved further out to places like waldorf....or, back into the city. we know have white flight INTO the city....course, most of them are the only ones who can afford to fix up the houses that were borded up. the think that gets me is, they arent sending their kids to the schools in d.c....they send them to private schools. So the schools stay the same.

p.g. just got 1 billion to put into education....if they have a comprehensive plan, thenj p.g. county will be come the only county in the u.s. that is predominately black, where the average income earner makes at least $45,000 and college educated, AND they could, in theory, end up with the best public school system in the country. That's a big IF.

and to see if
>my new neighborhood can foster
>a sense of community-

i dunno.....i live in an area that used to be all black....now its getting very mixed...black, white and latino......but no one speaks to each other. the latinos stick together....the whites keep to themselves and the blacks who live here a mostly old and retired who's kids are waiting for them to die so they can sell the house.