Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: read "pedagogy of the oppressed"...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=1713&mesg_id=1770
1770, RE: read "pedagogy of the oppressed"...
Posted by SoulHonky, Tue Apr-20-04 11:53 AM
"we memorize, record, and then regurgiate without ever REALLY learning..."

If that is all you are doing then it is your fault. By the time you get to college, you should be looking into things deeper than just the ink on the text book page.

What you need to do is watch what is being taught and try to figure out why it is being taught that way. Try to find the facts behind the "facts" that you are being taught. Take over the classroom discussion and incorporate what you learn outside of the classroom to help broaden the scope of the lesson. In my opinion, teachers aren't oppessors but neither are they freeing you. They give you a taste, a hint of what is out there. Now you can take what they say as truth, or you can take what they give you and investigate it. And this isn't even an ideological discussion, it is being realistic. Most college professors aren't teachers; they are there to work on a thesis of their own or trying to further there own research. Teaching is the dues they have to pay to use the college's resources.

And really, that is the key to college. What resources can they offer you. What do they have that you can take advantage of.

"we memorize, record, and then regurgiate without ever REALLY learning..." REALLY learning comes outside of the classroom, and the only person you can really blame for not following through is yourself.

Lord knows, looking back, I'm kicking myself for not following through and taking advantage of my school's resources while I was there.