Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectI once wrote this poem in class
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=1713&mesg_id=1746
1746, I once wrote this poem in class
Posted by Nettrice, Tue Apr-06-04 02:42 AM
...about this professor and his skewed ideas. I have to dig that poem up. What I was realizing then was that I was learning about b.s. and I was not paying a cent (I had a tuition free scholarship). I was young (17) and felt as if I was going to get the whole package of lies so that I would have some credentials and do what I really wanted to do.

If school does one thing it's teaching people how to live in the system. Education is necessary but being an educator is also about learning. Learners can teach, too. There are programs out there that promote this dynamic. Last week I sat in on a colleague's class on music and politics and he was teaching about the 1950s when rock and roll first hit the mainstream. A third of the class was just getting some of the students to understand the politics as well as the personal issues. The students were the ones who at times had something new to add to the presentation/lecture.