Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectIt is relevant
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=1713&mesg_id=1744
1744, It is relevant
Posted by Nettrice, Sat Apr-03-04 03:09 PM
But it is important that students take the initiative to apply what they've learned in the real world because school won't do that for you. I went to school for the credentials and I went to schools that look good on a resume. I also went to school to give myself time to study, explore and practice. I had to learn how to do the latter in order to become a good educator.

The question may not be whether or not college is relevant but how you can use what you are learning to fulfill a goal or vision.

I recently was invited to interview for a tenure-track faculty position and during the day-long interview I was constantly reminded that my "community" work would not count. I knew it was not the right place for me and I was disappointed but relieved that I had other options that will allow me to do the work I set out to do.

>we're reading
>fanon and freire, and learning the tactics of armed struggle
>as a means of revolution).

The struggle also exists in the mind. Recently I read Freire's last book, "The Pedagogy of Freedom" and he writes that "there is no teaching without learning." Also, he states:

"The very first of these types of knowledge, indispensable from the beginning to the teacher (that is, to the teacher who considers himself or herself to be an agent in the production of knowledge), is that to teach is not to transfer knowledge but to create the possibilities for the production or construction of knowledge."

In real education there are no outcomes except the ones you set for yourself because learning is a process, not a destination.