Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjecthow can you really say
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=1713&mesg_id=1718
1718, how can you really say
Posted by sociologik, Tue Apr-20-04 04:05 PM
that you have not learned anything ? I don't get it. Sociology does have that intuitive appeal to some people - some folks claim that it's just 'common sense', like one cat posted on here. And there are some sociological theories that are pretty straight forward.. and then there's shit that's not. Bourdieu. Weber. Durkheim. That shit is not straight forward- there are contributions, they are important, and your role as an informed intellectual is not to sit back like a smart ass and claim "I know this already" - it's to determine - hey -- WHAT is the gap between theory and practice? Why does revolution work in some contexts and not in others? What socio-historical forces have shaped me and my time? What can i do to expand beyond those structural determinants? How do concepts like symbolic violence, double consciousness and 'the looking glass self' relate to a marxist evaluation of racial oppression and cultural resistence? What do we, as a society, need to do to get from where we are to where we want to be? What macro and micro sociological changes must be made to bridge that gap?

That is the role of the revolutionary sociologist.