Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectyou noticed that too?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=17045&mesg_id=17065
17065, you noticed that too?
Posted by guest, Wed Mar-14-01 06:24 AM
THANK YOU!!!

I know people convert every day but Erykah's first album was straight preaching for the 5% nation! I know that on Mama's Gun she does use the words "Rasta style" but those words in and of themself declare it as a style and not a way of life.

Thank you also to the person that acknowledged the
Judeo-Christian roots of Rastafarianism. People always view Rastafarianism as "new" and "popular" and "trendy" as if set adrift in a sea of the currently fashionable like capri pants and gold teeth. Rastafarianism is a philosophy with deep roots and many branches and deserves more respect than a fad.

No, I am not a Rastafarian but I have utmost respect for anyone seeking a personal relationship with God and truth.

Also, I have been listening to Mama's Gun and although it is all introspective and vulnerable (I FEEL her in so many ways) she kinda avoided religion here but I see a few of the 5% stuff is in there...water, orange moon, and I'm sure you can dig up more if you can find your album jacket. ANYWAYS my point is that the album is evidence that she is finding herself so why hate the search?