Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectwhat is fake
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=17045&mesg_id=17059
17059, what is fake
Posted by h20molecule, Tue Mar-13-01 04:29 PM
what make's erykah's dread lox fake? was it the fact that they consisted primarily of hair that she did not grow? fake as an adjective is synonomous with counterfeit, but anyone and everyone knew immediately when Erykah sported the lox that they were extensions. she did not try to pass her hair off as authentic nor did she try to pass herself off as rastafaian.

hose to say rastafarianism has anything against the incorporation of othr things into one's own hair. Any true Rastafarian would not be offended by Erykah for what she did. A person in touch with their own spirit leads by example and learns to be compassionate towards those who do not understand or share their faith. The only person who would take Erykah' actions as mocking Rastafarianism would be some zealot who has culture confused with spirituality.

And thirdly, when did Rastafarians get a copyright on dread locks. The last time I checked almost every form of locks (including dread locks) (except for the sister/brother lox) pre-date Rastafarianism. I don't see how a religion has the right to appropriate a hairstyle and then dictate that the world follow that. That is almost as silly as a member of alpha phi alpha being upset by someone using the 'skaka' hand symbol (the hang loose thing they do down in hawaii) because they appropriated the same hand gesture in the form of the 'yo'. I have seen alphas make a stink over that and they know about as much about their organization as a rastafarian who makes a stink over someone who locks their hair. if its sacred to you, that is okay but if you choose to be angered by another culture that does not share your belief in what is sacred then that is your problem. When was the last time you saw some Hindus upset about the beef industry in America? Do beef eating Americans mock them? Do pork eating people mock Jewish and Muslim culture?

i can't believe i went into this kind of detail for such a trivial discussion

peace

h20

>I know the news about Erykah
>Badu's dreds being fake is
>old, but it's still bothering
>me. This is because I'm
>still an Erykah fan no
>matter what, but none of
>my friends are anymore. No
>matter what they say I'll
>still love her music and
>technically that is all I've
>ever really loved because I
>don't know her personally, but
>I could'nt get anyone close
>to me to check out
>her concert in Toronto. So
>I was a loner, and
>I still am in defending
>her, knowing that they are
>right.
>
>Being that everyone on my fathers
>side of my family and
>all his friends are Rastafarians,
>I see how seriously they
>take their religion, to them
>it means a lot more
>than just a 'hair do'
>or a 'fashion statement'. Although
>I am not a Rasta
>myself, I agree that there
>is so much more to
>being a Rasta than just
>dreds. I chose to ignore
>what Erykah Badu did until
>I read in the most
>recent 'black hair' magazine a
>quote of her saying basically
>"What's the big deal, there
>are lots of people running
>around with fake hair, fake
>everything. But I'm for real,
>and people know that". That
>bothered me because there is
>just a certain ritiousness that
>comes from a true Ras,
>and it is not just
>another hair do. I respected
>her because I admired the
>fact that a Rasta could
>get so far, getting through
>the struggles they go through
>from both white and black
>people.
>
>I know this should'nt bother me
>so much, but I am
>probably the biggest Erykah Badu
>fan, am I taking this
>too far, is there a
>true rastafarian out there that
>this does'nt bother?

Top Five Reasons Not to vote for George W. Bush

5. Foreign policy schmoreign policy. He can't even pronounce Milosovic much less denounce him.

4. His desire to be President and perform the duties his father once held is a definite indication of an Oedipus complex. G-Dub wants to replace his Daddy and sleep with his mother....Barbara Bush! Yuck! Monica Lewinsky's starting to look aight.

3. Will probably blame public perception that federal executions have skyrocketed on 'fuzzy math'.

2. Avoid nuclear war. Don't want him getting caught calling Russian President an arsehole at his inaugural address believing the microphones are off.

1. The same reason they shouldnt have sent Pookie to infiltrate the Carter in New Jack City. Coke-head in the WHITE HOUSE....yeah 100% Peruvian white house. Do you know how embarassing it could be if a big coke booger falls out at one of those head-of-state dinners? And you thought his Daddy puking all over the prime minister of Japan was bad.