Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectDid she say she was Rasta?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=17045&mesg_id=17056
17056, Did she say she was Rasta?
Posted by Mesnjah, Tue Mar-13-01 03:01 PM
She may have said it at one time but I don't ever remember hearing her claim to be a Rasta. I listen to *a lot* of Rasta inspired music, and very few artists who claim Rasta actually live the life 100%. Sizzla, Capleton and others do practice aspects of the religion and lifestyle but they still act in ways a true Rasta would not. Furthermore dreads are very popular for non-Rastas, as guerilla love said, and there are a lot of people for whom they are just a hairstyle. I've read a lot about dreadlocks and understand the history and symbolism behind them and I think those who wear them should be informed about what they symbolize, and the statements they may be appropriating by wearing dreads and not living as a Rasta. To me, dreads do not a Rasta mek! Even though I'm white I identify strongly with Rastafarianism, and use it as a guide in my life. I don't have dreads though nor do I smoke ganja, and these are the only elements of the faith and culture most people know of, not ital eating, not meditation, not challenging babylon, not cleansing your heart and mind, and not treating your fellow man and woman as inherently valuable. If Erykah actively said she was Rasta, and made a big deal about it, I would be bothered by her faking the locks, but since I don't remember her making such a statement it doesn't bother me. She still makes great, inspirational music and I'll continue to respect her for that regardless.

"Ain't every nigga with dreads for the cause, ain't every nigga with golds for the fall" (c) Outkast

Mesnjah

I could go on and on the full has never been told ~ Buju Banton