Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectsmmr '93...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=16903&mesg_id=16960
16960, smmr '93...
Posted by emil, Wed Mar-07-01 06:25 AM
i worked at vsu's farm. we did projects with aquaponics, basically growing tomatoes in a greenhouse using nutrients from 3 or 4 giant tanks of tilapia (an african fish, supposedly the species Jesus fed to the multitudes). u get the fish, run their wastewater to homemade biofilters that convert the nitrogenous waste to a usable form, then drip-line it on plants rooted in a soilless mix.

i think we grew lettuce the same way. i have a hydro system at home, and there's a surprising # of small hobbyists doing it. the expense is limiting, however. their big on it in the south and some areas of the caribbean. even iceland. the new push is toward organic hydroponics, using mixes of shit like bat guano and earthworm castings. problem with that is the smell and particles clogging sprayers and filters, but it works wonders on crops grown that way. ahhhhh, organic hydro mary j!!! but, back to the food.

thanks de..shepoet, for taking me back. i hope to have a nice aquaponic setup in my house whenever i get ta goin like i wanna be.

i mean...i'm sayin tho.