Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectamerica the GREAT!(?)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=16903&mesg_id=16903
16903, america the GREAT!(?)
Posted by emil, Tue Mar-06-01 05:47 AM
the numerous anti- and pro-Eurocentric posts i've seen here recently got me to thinkin on the role of America in today's world.

as my dad (a career air force man, but also a black man) believes undeniably in the greatness of america. granted, he's been all over and loves many different cultures (euro and asian) but insists that because of our economy and military strength and cultural-influence worldwide...that the US is the greatest and most powerful nation in the world today.

having been out of college for a while now, and only taking limited courses dealing with sociology and economics, i'm trying to understand if this is in fact TRUTH, in the world view. all indications (from my standpoint) emphatically yell "YES!" but that's from an american's standpoint.

now i think this is a great country as well, despite all the inherent faults in our system, but when compared to most places, it's pretty darn good. now that's not speaking on materialism and violence, etc, but these are important intrinsic values.

uh, i lost my point. ohyeah, errah, we're the modern-day rome so when'll we have our day? has our downfall started (if we are indeed at the top of the game)? y'kno, thangs along those lines.

discuss....

i mean...i'm sayin tho.