Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectMilitary Prisoners
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=16674&mesg_id=16722
16722, Military Prisoners
Posted by Solarus, Thu Mar-15-01 11:12 AM
Hotep

>I was just stating what I
>see.

I know and I wasn't calling YOU pitiful, just the excuse. It is an excuse that is commonly spoken but largely known.

>I wouldn't want my
>(unborn) kids doing it, but
>if you're coming out of
>high school and have no
>plans for college, what are
>you going to do? Especially
>if you already have a
>kid or family to take
>care of (which a lot
>of young men do these
>days). At least it's legal...what
>we need are some more
>goddamn choices.
>

True.

>Where's that school of yours when
>we need it...
>
>
Working on it.

>As do I, but let's be
>real. Would you rather see
>them in prison or in
>the military? At least in
>the military (albeit at a
>price too high for my
>taste), they have the chance
>to learn a trade, get
>money for school or otherwise
>live a fulfilling life and
>not be marked for the
>rest of their lives as
>an ex con.

I ask myself that question all of the time and never come up with a good answer. Overall it depends on the person and their experiences in prison or the military. Of course, I would have a strong disdain for the military because my family is from Panama and all of my uncles (mother's side) joined the American military and my aunts married (Panamanian) men in the American military (except for one who stayed in PAnama). Also my uncles are some of the most pitiful, gung-ho, American negroes around. Needless to say my brother and I (both have locks) are BLACK SHEEP of my mother's side of the family. One of my uncles almost fought me when I told him how gross America is.

"Don't you talk about America! This country has been DAMN good to me!"

Damn shame.

>
>Not understanding what you hate is
>some dangerous shit, Solarus. All
>it does is keep that
>revolving door going. Unless they
>can pick up some serious
>knowledge while they're locked down.
>

True but there is more opportunity to realize the TRUTH than a person who is complacent living in the false reality of life on the military base.

>
>Still, I can't choose the prison
>path over the cop/military one.
>Both are abhorrent to me.
>

I can't choose either but it is more likely that I would (could) connect with a former prisoner versus a former military man.
But On that same token my father joined the military with the same uncle that I discussed before. My father was "honorably discharged." He really wasn't big on authority but stayed in it long enough to get a good job with the post office. So there is always hope, but we have to take it person by person...

PEace
Solarus

"Activism is the practice of using an internal, self-determining source of power to live one's life and/or enact some sort of change. Power is the ability to define reality, while self-determination is to decide or define one's self. Therefore activism, is not simply something done to right some wrong or to fight some cause but rather it is a way of life. Activism is the way of life where one can define self and change anything that may impede or control the reality that one chooses to live."-Solarus