Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Oversights
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=16569&mesg_id=16660
16660, RE: Oversights
Posted by guest, Mon Mar-26-01 07:54 PM
>>Most primates (in the wild) live
>>off a diet of primarily
>>plants and some insects. Very
>>few (I can't think of
>>any) live on a diet
>>of raw meat. So you
>>statement about humans in the
>>wild makes no sense.
>
>I didn't mean that they were
>carnivores. I meant that a
>small (sometimes very small) portion
>of most primates' diets consist
>of meat. Chimps have been
>known to eat squirels &
>rats, same with Baboons. Gorillas
>even eat other primates! -
>mostly smaller monkeys. While meat
>in no way makes up
>a large portion of their
>diet, most primates do consume
>some meat.

Primates diets DO NOT consist of meat. Meat eating is rarely, if ever, done among primates in their natural environment. Primates in captivity eat whatever their captors provide for them.

Primates that have vegetation within reach will pick a banana over chasing down a squirrel or a rat. If he happens to be in an environment that is unnatural for him, (i.e., no fruit or other plant life available), he may be forced into meat eating (an unnatural choice for him to adjust to his unnatural environment, in those cases).

In cases of Gorilla's eating other primates, I'm aware that this does happen. From my understanding, it's more of an "Alpha-male" thing killing off the offspring in his family that he believes he didn't sire. I've seen documentaries where the "Alpha-male" gorilla will snatch up a baby gorilla, kill the baby gorilla and then eat him!!

From my understanding, this is done more often to EMPHATICALLY DECLARE his leadership of the clan and somehow, in gorilla culture, the very existence of this baby gorilla that he believes he didn't sire, represents a threat and/or disrespect to his leadership and authority. His eating of the other primate(s) is not done to fulfill a nutritional void nor can it be considered a part of his natural food selection process. Eating of other primates involves other issues for gorillas.

>>What is Italian eating like?
>
>Well first off, it lowers the
>risk of heart problems, cancer
>& other diseases dramatically. It's
>what's commonly called a Mediterranean
>diet. High on grains &
>vegetables, low on meat. Fish
>& other seafood make up
>a good portion of the
>diet as well as pasta.
>You might go days without
>eating any meat and when
>you do it's usually a
>little chicken mixed in with
>the pasta.
>
>>"Necessary" is relative to the one's
>>desired goals at living.
>
>True enough, which is why I'm
>not a vegetarian. All of
>my grandparents have survived to
>an old age, and are
>in amazing condition (one grandpappy's
>still goes to the YMCA
>three days a week at
>84!) eating a Mediterranean diet
>or following a Kosher diet
>with some fasting.
>
Well, the majority of the above doesn't surprise me too much in regard to Italian eating. Italian dishes usually involve a lot of garlic, right? Garlic can neutralize many a bad eating habits (meat eating included).

My great grandmother (may she rest in peace) used to cook alot of hog. I mean the crazy parts of the pig, snout, tails, feet, neck, you name it, she probably cooked/ate it. She lived to be almost 80 and never suffered from high-blood pressure or high-cholestrol. That's because she used to cook almost everything with madd garlic in it, always. Even the crazy pork dishes that she'd whip up on the regular were laced with plenty of garlic.

She did suffer from alzheimers/senility in her last days, but that's beside the point.

Garlic is powerful, and it ALWAYS helps to have it as a part of your diet.

"Truth will make you depart from that which you say you believe." - NaSheed Fakhrid-Deen

"...And we are loved for being ignorant and hated if we are militant..." - Alafia Pudim of the Last Poets.

"The first generation of Negroes were INTIMIDATED BY white supremacy.
The second generation of Negroes WORSHIPPED white supremacy.
The new generation of Negroes IS white supremacy." - "Evolution" by Amiri Baraka