Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectI really think you are missing the point...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=16569&mesg_id=16637
16637, I really think you are missing the point...
Posted by guest, Fri Mar-23-01 06:07 AM
vegan life is not for everyone. the USDA and their little meat campaign cannot be compared to what mahi is saying. MODERATION is the key word here. i personally go thru periods when i don't eat meat at all. i just don't crave it (meaning for me my body doesn't need it @that time). and i must admit that i had stopped eating red meat about 8 years ago b/c it was making me nauseous. however, that was because i was eating it in EXCESS.

i now, on rare occasion eat small portions of free range chicken, ostrich meat, and yes occasionally a little red meat from the organic store. the red meat i eat probably twice a year if even that. i'm absolutely positive i'm not dying slowly b/c of it. i don't get sick or nauseous when i eat it b/c again it's a rare thing. for me, it's very difficult to keep my weight up without a sprinking of poultry and fish here and there, but i am very careful about where i buy my meat. i've read all the books, seen herbalists, nutritionists and the like. bottom line, i won't die anytime soon for the amount of meat i consume. for me it's not an activist thing it's a health thing.

you're falling into the same trap as those you complained about in the beginning. mahi is not asking that vegans or vegetarians give up there life or the way they eat, but it is true you have to be extremely careful about what you eat, because it is much easier to leave out minerals and other vitamins, etc. as a vegetarian. at least is was for me. i've never felt healthier in all my life. i would say to everyone to do what's best for you. ANYTHING IN EXCESS IS NO GOOD!

sacred