Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectMYOB
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=16569&mesg_id=16611
16611, MYOB
Posted by Nettrice, Thu Mar-22-01 11:32 AM
I am a vegetarian. I have a meat-eating co-worker who always likes to ask me what I am eating. Then, when I tell him he acts disgusted. It's amusing to me because every other day this guy walks around holding his stomach complaining about the food he just ate. He stands over me play-retching when I enjoy my hummous and falafels but he's truly nauseous when he eats his food. Go figure!

Occassionally, I'll encounter someone who acts like this guy but I don't feel like they resent me. They're curious and like to make ignorant comments because they can't understand why someone would not want to eat meat. Personally, I wish they would mind their own business. I do what I want.

I guess I don't eat meat for health reasons. When I was a teenager I stopped eating pork for political reasons and then I stopped eating red meat and then chicken...Ten years later I have never had high-blood pressure or high cholesterol levels. I work out 3x a week but I am still "thick". I think not eating meat has helped me be a healthier person.

Black women in my family suffer from everything from high-blood pressure to obesity to heart problems...I had to take control of my life and not eating meat was a first step.

"Know thyself"

"Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you or forsake you". So we may boldly say, "The Lord is my helper, I will not fear. What can man do to me?"
-- Hebrews 13:5,6

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path"
--Morpheus in "The Matrix"

"It's our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"- Dumbledore to Harry Potter "Chamber of Secrets"