Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Former Vegetarian
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=16569&mesg_id=16606
16606, RE: Former Vegetarian
Posted by guest, Thu Mar-22-01 10:56 AM
No, you made some assumptions there. I drink soy milk because it is the same animal that is being tortured by the meat industry that is giving the milk. (See my post above.) Muslims believe that the milk of cows is a blessing, and I believe this too. Milk of animals provides benefits, if it is consumed in a balance way just like meat. If too much milk is consumed then it becomes unhealthy. Just as if too much fruit, vegetables, or grains are consumed. Animals have rights in Islam. Muslims do not have the same view that mankind has dominion or ownership over animals, or any creation for that matter. Only Allah is the Owner. Islam teaches a view of participation with nature. This includes being able to use animals for purposes such as traveling, protection of land and home, guides for the blind, farming, and for food. This isn't dominion, this is participation, because the animals have rights over man. They have the right to be treated with kindness and compassion and not to be abused or tortured. If it was a dominion relationship, then the animals would have no rights and it would not be participatory. Also, it is believed by Muslims that on the Day of Judgement an animal that is harmed, mistreated, or killed for an unjust reason by someone will testify against that person before Allah.

You must understand that suffering is a part of life. It is just as much a law of the universe as gravity. The opposite of suffering is of course pleasure and this is the balance of this temporary life. Whether or not you, or the entire human population, is Vegan, things will still suffer.

Read my post that is above in this subject where I talk about compassion.

Yusuf Abdus-Salaam