Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectFormer Vegetarian
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=16569&mesg_id=16604
16604, Former Vegetarian
Posted by guest, Thu Mar-22-01 09:41 AM
I was a vegetarian for about 2 years. This was because I refused to eat the meat of an animal that is tortured the way that they are by the average "farm." Places that keep animals locked up most of their lives, seperate them from their offspring, and when they do slaughter the animal they do it in very painful ways. I've seen footage of animals being hung by their backs and being cut open while still alive.

I began eating meat again when I accepted Islam. The farm that we (the local Muslim community) get our meat from allows the animals to roam around and live a natural life. Also, the Islamic way of slaughtering an animal is the most painless way to do it. It is done by slicing the neck at the arteries in the neck. This instantly makes the animal go unconscious while the blood drains, which makes the meat more beneficial.

I still drink soy milk and eat meatless "buffalo wings" and boca burgers though! Don't hate without trying them!

Yusuf Abdus-Salaam