Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectSpeaking as...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=16556&mesg_id=16568
16568, Speaking as...
Posted by HeavenLei, Tue Mar-27-01 08:06 AM

Someone who was once briefly in the welfare system...

>My questions for yall are:
>1) What stereotypes do you have
>of people on welfare, if
>any?

I don't have any anymore.

>2) Do you feel people are
>on welfare as a result
>of wrongdoing or bad decisions
>on their part? If
>so, please elaborate.

In my situation, I was a teenage parent who was attending school full-time as well as being a parent full-time. That first year, working wasn't an option. But for the most part, I think that people who STAY on welfare and depend on the system to help them out of the system are lazy as hell. BAD BAD BAD judgement and decsion making plays a huge role alongside complacency.

>3) Do you feel black people
>on welfare today are on
>it for the same reason
>many were in the 1950's
>and 1960's or do we
>control our own circumstances more
>today?

Hell yeah, we're in more control of our financial situations. It bohters me a lot. I feel like, damn, I got two jobs, you can't get one?

>4) Do you feel that black
>people on welfare are abusing
>the system? If yes,
>do you feel this was
>the case for black people
>on welfare in the 1950's
>and 1960's.

RACE has nothing to do with it.

>5) Does anyo
ne have first hand
>accounts of racism or sexism
>(as black females) when buying
>products, renting an apartment or
>any business transactions?

I've been followed around a store on numerous occasions and expected not to tip at restaurants. To spite the perpetrator I'll purchase something expensive from a store and return it when the asshole is gone, or in a reataurant I'll tip the waiter properly and give the cook (especially if he's black ) a tip considerably bigger than the waiter and go out of my way to make management and the offender notice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Food for thought:
"The nature of creation is that it is always progressing toward beauty. Allah is beautiful, and Allah loves beauty. The nature of the body is to beautify itself; the nature of the mind is to have beautiful thoughts,the longing of the heart is for beautiful feeling."
-The Qu'ran

NOBODY'S God likes ugly. BE BEAUTIFUL.
HeavenLei
:-):7:-):7:-):7:-):7:-):7:-):7:-):7:-):7
COMING THIS SUMMER: The return of the STA-SOF-FRO...stay tuned.