Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectSomewhat
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=16556&mesg_id=16567
16567, Somewhat
Posted by guest, Tue Mar-27-01 07:49 AM
>My questions for yall are:
>1) What stereotypes do you have
>of people on welfare, if
>any?

Well, I grew up on Section 8 and government cheese and rice, but thankfully my mother never had to collect welfare. I have no stereotype of someone on welfare except: a single women with children.

>2) Do you feel people are
>on welfare as a result
>of wrongdoing or bad decisions
>on their part? If
>so, please elaborate.

I think it is either the result of random misfortune (i.e. eviction, death, unexpected divorce, etc.) or the "cycle of poverty." There are some families where welfare is the status quo.

>3) Do you feel black people
>on welfare today are on
>it for the same reason
>many were in the 1950's
>and 1960's or do we
>control our own circumstances more
>today?

I think the balck community is a lot more accepting of welfare than white society. In some areas, welfare is seen as normal and common.

>4) Do you feel that black
>people on welfare are abusing
>the system? If yes,
>do you feel this was
>the case for black people
>on welfare in the 1950's
>and 1960's.

Some people do abuse the system. If you have the opportunity to get of government handouts and you don't, you're abusing the system (regardless of race). Most welfare programs don't give people the chance to break out on their own (i.e. child care, transporation, etc.). But recently quite a few states (Wisconsin) have made it easier for people on welfare to hold down jobs and still care for their children.

>5) Does anyone have first hand
>accounts of racism or sexism
>(as black females) when buying
>products, renting an apartment or
>any business transactions?

Wel my mother was white so racism wasn't and issue. But, quite a few landlords were apprehensive about renting to someone on Section 8, and people (school, police, neighbors) were always telling my mother that I needed a man in the house, to straighten me out.

JMello

"Those of us who spent time in the agricultural sector and in the heartland, we understand how unfair the death penalty is - the death tax is."

"Si, I'm very concerned about the amount of acreage in cultivation for the growth of cocoa leaves."

"...it's about past 7 here, so we're actually in different timelines."

"I am mindful not only of preserving executive powers for myself, but my predecessors, as well. And that's why I made the decision."

"I'm about to name my brother the ambassador to Chad."

"They don't seem to be flocking in right now, but it is dove season in Texas. I'm a hunter and if I decide to shoot some dove, I'll shoot 'em and eat 'em."

--President-Select George W. Bush--