Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Thug Life?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=16535&mesg_id=16543
16543, RE: Thug Life?
Posted by knumskul, Mon Mar-26-01 06:19 AM
Why do I have this feeling that I'm being singled out? I guess since you grew up in the burbs you really don't know much about what goes on in the hood. Or maybe you had relatives in the hood? Or maybe you're just goin on something you heard? I don't know, but I don't think that Koreans are really content with NOT turning a profit, if what you're saying is that they don't make any money in the hood. We DO buy gas in our neighborhoods...and groceries and go to the cleaners, etc.
I'm sure a lot of those ex-gas station, mini market owners, etc. wish they'd kept their businesses...or at least their families wish they'd kept them. I know some who wish they had. Anyway, we know drugs are a problem for all of America but which areas do you think were hit the hardest: the suburbs or the inner city? How many suburban/white folks are serving time for selling drugs? How many suburban/white mothers get tested for drugs in the delivery room against their will and go to jail? How many suburban/WHITE babies are born strung out? Not as much as Blacks. Sounds like a racial issue to me. Admit it or not, black/latino/poor neighborhoods were targeted and hit the hardest by drugs, and it was/is a race thing. Black neighborhoods were thriving before the drug epidemic. Don't you agree? Or would you know? Or have you been readin 'statistics'? As far as it being an American issue...I don't think America cares much about the welfare of urban communities. That's my opinion. But, keeping with the question, what are your suggestions for mobiling brother's on the streets? Are you gonna continue to argue that the problem is not a Black one, or are you gonna find a way to rectify this problem...the best WE can?? To "mobilize" OUR brothers (and sisters). Arguing over won't help nobody...black, white, yellow, purple. Working together to change things will.
Peace

"If you think you're too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito."
-Bette Reese

"Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."
-Chinese proverb

"Knowing others is Wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment."

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."

"The vision must be followed by the venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps -- we must step up the stairs."