Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectAfrikan Kulture!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=16495
16495, Afrikan Kulture!
Posted by abduhu, Wed Mar-28-01 02:01 PM
bismillah

i would like to know more about the "afrikan kulture" that so many okayplayers are involved in.

i am serious. so please reply seriously.

and please, if you can use plain and simple engilsh (seriously, not trying to be funny), so as to keep the average readers tuned in, please do so.

once again, i repeat: i am serious. so please take my questions seriously.

1. what specific arikan kulture do you adhere to?

subhakallahumma wabihamdika ashhadu anla ilaha illa anta astaghfiruka wa attuubu ilaika
16496, what specific arikan kulture do you adhere to?
Posted by guest, Wed Mar-28-01 02:07 PM
there are too many to name...

i guess the thing is after years of reading and seemingly as long spent in study/libraries/lectures/research. this umbrella term looks at all of the similar aspects of ALL the cultures and speaks in that tongue. i could list you all the books although it'd be better for me to go get the info and scan it and then send it. usually though kektic,dogon,west afrikan, some modern, and the diaspora

"REAL RECOGNIZE REAL, and even more than that, the fake, they REALLY REALLY recognize REAL!" -BlackThought

16497, kektic=kemetic
Posted by guest, Wed Mar-28-01 02:08 PM
"REAL RECOGNIZE REAL, and even more than that, the fake, they REALLY REALLY recognize REAL!" -BlackThought

16498, RE: Afrikan Kulture!
Posted by urbgriot, Wed Mar-28-01 02:13 PM
http://www.okayplayer.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=1924&forum=DCForumID1&omm=0

good start right on the boards...

peace...
16499, DAMN!
Posted by guest, Wed Mar-28-01 02:20 PM
forgot all about that...plus once after research and study you start understanding what afrikan culture is collectively, (a word you're sure to find in any book dealing with afrikan culture) you'll also be able to EASILY see what Afrikan ulture, "isn't."

(((((PEACE)))))

16500, RE: Family?
Posted by abduhu, Wed Mar-28-01 03:56 PM
how does the afrikan view family?
what are the roles played in an ideal afrikan family?
what are the values of this family?
what role does the afrikan family play in an afrikan society?

note: it is my sincere hope that this thread will become archived and serve as a tool for "afrikan", "non-afrikan", and dont-know-what-is "afrikan" peoples to understand the position/s of the afrikan-minded.

so beginning w/ this post, can you give a litte more detail to the life of an ideal afrikan.

p.s.: referring the readers to previous threads is cool, but for the sake of those thats interested in specifics and not details, lets keep the focus in and on this thread.

in other words, brevity and conciseness in this thread, if both are possible at the same time.

out.

subhakallahumma wabihamdika ashhadu anla ilaha illa anta astaghfiruka wa attuubu ilaika
16501, RE: Family?
Posted by guest, Wed Mar-28-01 04:10 PM
how does the afrikan view family?
what are the roles played in an ideal afrikan family?
what are the values of this family?
what role does the afrikan family play in an afrikan society?

this is an incredible amount of information to deliver, i might have to go get you some books on it. it is not something that can be condensed into the space on these boards, you'd be scrolling forever. check out SBA: reawakening the afrikca mind by asa hilliard. there are elementary examples there. i hope also this post can steer away from rhetoric and be specific. also the concept "ideal" is a goal and i cannot find a comparable term in afrikans when describing themselves, life is seen as a journey and constant perfection towards the divine. plus when you say ideal you ask people to bring arguments like "but this happened..." and "what about this..."

peace

16502, RE: Family?
Posted by abduhu, Wed Mar-28-01 04:35 PM
just so you know, im not necessarily looking for on-the-spot answers. just answers. however long tey take to type/copy/paste/etc.....

so ill tell you what im going to do. im gonna go ahead and throw the questions out there (b4 i lose my train of thought), to give the thread uniformity. kinda like an outline, ya know. that way, yall can answer and add to answers when you get ready.

out.

16503, RE: 2. Government?
Posted by abduhu, Wed Mar-28-01 04:41 PM
what is the legislative system like in an afrikan society?
who runs it?
what is it based on?
16504, RE: 4. Society?
Posted by abduhu, Wed Mar-28-01 04:51 PM
how are people viewed in an afrikan society?
how do afrikans treat each other w/ respect to society?
how are societal problems (theft, killing, etc...if any) handled in an afrikan society?
16505, RE: 4. a Tribalism?
Posted by abduhu, Thu Mar-29-01 10:11 AM
how would an arfikan deal w/ tribalism?

16506, RE: 3. Spirituality?
Posted by abduhu, Wed Mar-28-01 05:01 PM
what is the spiritual side of an afrikan like?
who/what is the divine being an afrikan give thanks to?
does this spirituality show itself in day-to-day practices?
16507, Forgive me
Posted by cued, Thu Mar-29-01 10:38 AM
But first of all, are you white?

Ok, if you aren't white, then why are you using an Eurocentric model to talk to us? You're BLACK which means that you are Afrikan which means that you know what or as much as we know.

While you say that you are not "looking for spot answers" the very way in which you are conducting this query, the very manner in which this query is started is quite obviously looking for spot answers.

To answer your question in the spot I think utamaroho might have been reaching for, Afrakan culture is that which involves every person who is part of the African diaspora. It isn't "organized" because it isn't white people -- we don't work in "hierarchies" and we aren't based on "vauled and devalued" dichotomies.

In conclusion, forgive me for saying that your query makes no sense.

Peace,

Q

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^*********^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Uplifting thoughts:

"We are the end result of our ancestors prayers as they died. We you are the sum total of their answered prayers."

"I am because we are; we are because I am."

16508, hmmmmm
Posted by guest, Thu Mar-29-01 10:43 AM
that's why we didn't answer him in his fashion.

"ideal afrikan" what the fuck?!?!

ideal is a eurocentric ideal (non reality). afrikans are divine and thus ARE "ideal" from jump. yes even so-called "mistakes". (i know its a difficult concept to understand)

"You're comparing apples and oranges, my friend. Oversimplification is not the way to "win" an argument. I'm glad you're convinced that what you're doing is right. Are they giving out prizes to the people who bring in the most converts this week?" janey (my new heroine) to abduhu. not a diss, just a clear glimpse of the truth.

16509, RE: Forgive me
Posted by abduhu, Thu Mar-29-01 12:25 PM
im muslim.

since it is obvious that i dont think like you guys, then why ask me why i am asking questions in a european way. if i had asked them in a chinese way, would i get as much slack.

also, it is obvious that if i have to ask about afrikan culture, i shouldnt be expected of me to know how to conduct queries in an afrikan manner.

you are forgiven, and forgive me for askin.

but gotta tell yall, yall sound real foolsh.
one minute you sayin "we gotta let em know what time it is", and the next you sayin" thats why we didnt answer him".
one min. yall say its important for us to know OUR culture, and when somebody like me tries to find out, you reject me.

out.

i wont ask anymore, ill just start assuming.

16510, don't be like that sweetie
Posted by guest, Thu Mar-29-01 12:34 PM
>>thats why we didnt answer him

only because certain answers have to asked the same way, if you talk into another language than me, we get a translator. in this case the way the questions were asked and the appropriate answers can't even find equilibrium with a translator. they are really THAT different. its like teaching someone something on a chalkboard that HAS to be experienced. could i teach a martial art on paper? no. that's why there's the african worldview post. M2 asked the same question, and said write a five minute outline?!? can you see why we'd have a perplexed attitude? "it's like explaining astrophysics to a whino" the explanation can't be done like that, when people try to simplify it, they ask the other person to tailor the answers their cultural context. and trying to cater afrikan ideals to european understanding is a REAL sin.

(((((PEACE)))))

"You're comparing apples and oranges, my friend. Oversimplification is not the way to "win" an argument. I'm glad you're convinced that what you're doing is right. Are they giving out prizes to the people who bring in the most converts this week?" --quoted by janey(my new heroine)to abduhu. *a clear glimpse of the truth*