Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectWISDOM
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=16489
16489, WISDOM
Posted by guest, Thu Mar-29-01 08:26 AM
A white-haired couple sits on the park bench,
Reading the paper, discussion the day's news.
He repeats a poem, learned in his youth;
She finishes the stanza as he nods in pleasure.
At twilight, the air seems clearer than noon.

In past times, educators emphasized memorization. You can still meet older people who can recite certain poems, passages from classics and religious texts, or mathematical formulae. In fact, some people assert that those who remember more are wiser.

Young people often have a mania for more and more information. But mere accumulation is not enough. The more you take in, the more that data needs to be managed. Without that, you have encyclopedic knowledge and miniscule wisdom. True wisdom is a qualitative value built on a quantitative foundation. The vital elderly did not become venerable through good memory alone. They also learned to manipulate those facts. They mixed their knowledge with a healthy dose of experience, experimentation, contemplation. It takes time to intuit special connections between facts.

(((((PEACE)))))

One might say that wisdom is not simply a mental process but the sum total of a human being.
"REAL RECOGNIZE REAL, and even more than that, the fake, they REALLY REALLY recognize REAL!" -BlackThought

16490, AFRIKAN TRADITION # 1
Posted by guest, Thu Mar-29-01 08:36 AM
from Ptah Hotep, KMT, 3500 BCE

"EXPERIENCE IS THE HIGH QUALIFICATION"

EITHER DO, or keep talking. In the spirit of urbgriot, who recognizes action over rhetoric. With all the information on these boards, action should be the thought carried away as one leaves the keyboard. Just seeing the number of people making the steps towards vegetarianism, community building, and personal refinement is a joy. At the same time, listening to those who have not PRACTISED or LIVE an ideology but offer opinion/conjecture/rhetoric is getting pretty pitiful. FOR EXAMPLE: A personal respect to janey in her knowledge of economics, but for ME to step in and give my opinion knowing absolutely NOTHING of the market is just sad, and thus I don't do it. But the number of people not practicing and speaking empty words is rediculous. This includes regurgitating information one is not intimately familiar with. (((((PEACE)))))

knowledge,practice,experience, then wisdom....then talk

"REAL RECOGNIZE REAL, and even more than that, the fake, they REALLY REALLY recognize REAL!" -BlackThought

16491, that is why I rarely post
Posted by urbgriot, Thu Mar-29-01 08:41 AM
but I read alot...
and I will read more...
inorder to be more effective in my actions...

peace..
16492, RE: true.
Posted by abduhu, Thu Mar-29-01 08:45 AM
>At the same
>time, listening to those who
>have not PRACTISED or LIVE
>an ideology but offer opinion/conjecture/rhetoric
>is getting pretty pitiful. FOR
>EXAMPLE: A personal respect to
>janey in her knowledge of
>economics, but for ME to
>step in and give my
>opinion knowing absolutely NOTHING of
>the market is just sad,
>and thus I don't do
>it. But the number of
>people not practicing and speaking
>empty words is rediculous. This
>includes regurgitating information one is
>not intimately familiar with. >
>knowledge,practice,experience, then wisdom....then talk

yeah, i feel you on this. which is one of the reasons i never post anything about "afrikan-mindedness", or anything relating to afrikan culture. well except that question i posed about merneptah and what did the kemites say about him? but thats another post.

subhakallahumma wabihamdika ashhadu anla ilaha illa anta astaghfiruka wa attuubu ilaika
16493, RE: WISDOM
Posted by guest, Thu Mar-29-01 08:50 AM
I think memorization is a great way to exercise your brain. That along with critical thinking and word-less understanding builds wisdom.

But, to say that we don't memorize is silly. How many hiphop songs do you know the lyrics to. One of my fondest memories is of singing the chorus to "Double Trouble" with my girlfriend. It may have sounded like shit and everyone thought we were crazy, but we had a real connection.

"I said it's like BLAOW!"

Russell
16494, RE: WISDOM
Posted by guest, Thu Mar-29-01 05:46 PM
>>But, to say that we don't memorize is silly.

Don't think it said memorization was bad God, just not the end. Memorization then action, n/m

ONE. I'M OUTTIE.