Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Remember Baruch?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=16338&mesg_id=16374
16374, RE: Remember Baruch?
Posted by lambda, Wed Mar-21-01 10:58 AM
That article is ignorant on a number of points:

1) Most of the Zionist organizations in America do not support Meir Kahane's views. Besides the JDL and its relatives/spinoffs, I can't recall any Jewish organization that supports his views.

2) The Israeli public and government do not support Meir Kahane's views. In fact, the Knesset barred Kahane from running for political office when his power was becoming too great.

3) The Israeli government does not support Baruch Goldstein. The Jerusalem Magistrate's Court sentenced a person who glorified Goldstein to 8 months in prison.

4) In Israel it is illegal to donate money to Kahane's Kach party and to another organization, Kahane Chai, or "Kahane Lives". Goldstein was affiliated with Kach.

5) It says that Israeli soldiers liked the way Goldstein handled himself, yet they banned him from coming. This does not make sense.

6) The article misrepresents the concept of a mezuzah. A mezuzah is put up by Orthodox Jews on every entrance to a building or room (save bathrooms), they are not to honour specific people. The 10 commandments are not what is handwritten in them, it is actually two other portions from the Torah, including some of the Shema, a Jewish prayer. I'm not competent enough in the laws of mezuzot to know whether or not a mezuzah would be required at that particular entrance, but I wouldn't see it as out of the ordinary even if it wasn't required. I have not been able to find anything on the circumstances of this anywhere on the web.

7) Baruch Goldstein is not the person in charge of Jewish holy sites. If the person in charge of Jewish holy sites started denying that the Muslims have a connection to the Dome of the Rock, then we might be in trouble. I was pointing out, with the Mufti's comments, that the person in charge of Muslim holy sites is denying that there are any Jewish holy sites or even any Jewish connections in Jerusalem, so how can we expect fair treatment of them by a potential Palestinian government?