Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectBack from lunch
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=16066&mesg_id=16241
16241, Back from lunch
Posted by Wendell, Tue Apr-03-01 09:22 AM
Up until that conversation, I never really considered that the public school system, which the overwhelming majority of us matriculate, are geared for kids to fail. Creating a permanent underclass. This by itself is another thread.

HBCU's were created because we (Blacks) weren't allowed to attend the other schools. They are necassary now because we've created a HISTORY for ourselves to be proud about. I was part of Southern's 100th class in 90. I'm proud of that! My kids will go to Southern. Their kids will go to Southern! I personally know of families that are three and four generations deep at HBCU's. That history is important to the development of self-pride.

I'm gonna leave you with one story about one of my best friends, who lives in DC now. When we graduated from 8th grade, we went to seperate high schools. I went to Young, he went to Curie. One of his comments to me about Young was "you can't get a good education there, there's too many blacks there." I didn't recognize his conversation as intelligent, so I ignored him. Four years later, college comes around. I'm on my way to SU, he's heading to Southern Illinois (SIU). I urge him to attend a black school and once again, he tells me that I will receive an inferior education going to a "black" school. After two years in the Engineering department at SIU, HIS INSTRUCTORS are urging him to change majors because of his grades. He told me that they told him he didn't have the aptitude to learn engineering at their program. I urge him to transfer to a school that would encourage him to succeed, not QUIT! He transfers to Xavier in New Orleans and repairs his self esteem. Gets a degree in Physics, then moves on to Howard to get his Engineering degree. From there, on to Cornell (is that IVY enough for you?) to get his Masters in EE (top of his class no less). This is the same student who wasn't good enough to graduate from SIU. Who was encouraged to quit! Right now, he owns his own business and is doing very well. I know of many other stories like that, but the point is, WE NEED TO EDUCATE OURSELVES!!!! HBCU's do that very well thank you!!!

For M2, I can't blame you for thinking the way you do, that's the mentality that you were raised with. I do feel sorry for you though, because there is nothing worse than educated ingorance. History tells me that you will come to learn about being black in this country sooner or later, just keep living.

Peace

Wendell