Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectOkay............
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=16066&mesg_id=16233
16233, Okay............
Posted by MisterGrump, Thu Mar-29-01 02:19 PM

>The only people that can accurately
>make that claim are members
>within the community. NO
>they have not outserved their
>purpose, because institutionalized oppression still
>exists within most white institutions.
> White institutions are not
>accepting African Americans in proportions
>that will help our community
>advance, therefore we must maintain
>our own institutes of higher
>learning!

I agree. However, HWCUs either accept on "merit" or in the case of certain state and public universities' Affirmative Action Policies they accept the percentage equal to the population percentage of that particular state. Unfortunately, some states do both, these tend to te flagship institutions of the states' public education system(My school, The University of Missouri-Columbia, is such an example). So these criterion pose the question to you: What exactly are the reasonable proportions that will help the African-American community?

>First of all college and university
>curriculum is not able to
>be lumped into one big
>category. You can evaluate
>elementary curriculum like that, but
>each college has a different
>curriculum for each program!

Okay, another question. Is there really a need for a physical education requirement to graduate when you are a civil engineering major? Do you find it neccessary that physical science majors are required to have a foundation in humanities and liberal arts?

>Now, I attended Hampton University,
>and I now attend Johns
>Hopkins University! My programs
>at Hampton were much more
>updated and with the zeitgeist
>of the times! At
>Hopkins in a class for
>human development and cultural diversity,
>we actually were examining Freud,
>Jung, and other outdated members
>of the European diaspora!
>we were supposed to apply
>this to African American children!
> Talk about outdated! White
>Universities that teach old history,
>and literally no diversity are
>outdated!

Thass for a particular class? or is that for the ENTIRE curriculum for which you are getting a degree? See, a class like that could be an elective or just readjusted to fi the times. I agree with you in a way that you can't apply such scholars to a modern problem when such research is available to supplement the learnin objective.

>>Yes, we still need HBCU'S~! The simple fact that over 95% of successful African Americans graduated from HBCU'S is the proof in the pudding! Success=rank, position, salary, satisfaction, for those that want operational definitions. If black colleges aren't needed then why are they producing such awesome results!

Can I get some sources on this, because this number sounds TOO contrived.

>Those are the facts!
>ANother thing! HBCU's are not
>100% black! Hampton is
>89% Black, which is more
>diverse than Stanford, Yale, Harvard,
>Miami University in Ohio!
>So these are HWCU's and
>no one says anything about
>that! These HWCU's
>are less than 2% black-most!
>
>So when those stat's change, then
>the need will change!

Okay, just cuz we are in the majority does not mean that the school is diverse. It's the flip side of the coin from HWCUs. Also, you just named some of the most selective PRIVATE schools in the country!!! Private schools for the most part are exempt from having to conform to federal standards. Keep in mind, it was the private schools that were more accepting of African-American students during Jim Crow than most public institutions, although those students were still held accountable for academic achievement.

little......
http://members.blackplanet.com/GrumpyBear/

"Life's a bitch....BUT I LOVE THAT HOE!!!" (c) AVE