Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectno need to repeat yourself...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=16066&mesg_id=16215
16215, no need to repeat yourself...
Posted by LexM, Fri Mar-30-01 02:41 PM
...that's why I said that if you were talking about that specific post, I got you.

I never had that belief. Personally, I saw more of the opposite when I was at school in Boston, but I try to stay away from sweeping generalizations. So I never really agreed to that idea of "white grads aren't broke."

At the same time, to say that you DON'T see that white people have a certain amount of privilege in this society *just* because they are white, that's dangerous.

I've seen white people go to job interviews in jeans and tshirts and get the job.

I've seen my opinion discounted or ignored in the face of a white peer saying the same damn thing.

I was accused of not writing a good paper by a white professor. She wasn't convinced that I could master the language that well. Did any white students get called up on their use of standard English? No.

That is white privilege, American style. Whether or not they're broke after graduation is another story.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." ~~anonymous

"It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a bad example." ~~anonymous

"how u gonna tell me to mind my own biz/when you lookin like somethin I need to know about?"~~de la soul

"Ignorance: The Verbal Airborne Disease" (c) my friend Ty

"writer's block is a...I mean, it's like...uh...damn." ~~Me