Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: unless...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=16066&mesg_id=16214
16214, RE: unless...
Posted by M2, Wed Mar-28-01 05:51 PM
I've grown up around Affluent White kids my whole life, while they typically have more of a support system then most Black kids I know. It's rare to see someone so connected that they'll never be unemployed, never be broke, etc. To me that's the Myth of "white privelage" the idea that one would never struggle if they were white.

I lived in 4 different towns growing up, 7-12 grades I went to 3 different schools in 3 towns and 2 states. I also went to a college that was chock full of affluent white kids from all over the country.....I think I can speak with some certainty that while having affluent parents might give you a better start. It's no guarantee of success, you may be broke one day...you may be out of work. You'll still have to work for what you get......

It is a very very very small minority of people who have everything handed to them are never really going to fall too hard.

I say it's Myth not neccessarily in existance, but definitely in Magnitude. When I was in college, a lot of Blacks would go on and one about White Privelage...(even though they had no white friends) just because they couldn't buy a new car fresh out of school...and the white dude's parents bought him one or co-signed for one. Getting a car and being set for life with connections that can always get you a job, are two ENTIRELY different things.

"The White Graduate Is Never Broke"

That's the belief a lot of Blacks have....and it's just not true.

It may "appear" that way, but when you've grown up around these people your whole life..you see it's not that simple/easy.

I don't mean to sound daft, but you're trying to argue your perception with my reality. You couldn't see what I'm seeing and believe the Myth.

Lata,

M2