Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectFlawed understanding of "leader"
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=16066&mesg_id=16204
16204, Flawed understanding of "leader"
Posted by spirit, Tue Apr-03-01 05:12 AM
>Looking at the list of the
>top 50 Blacks in corporate
>America, only 6 went to
>an HBCU, 15 have at
>least 1 degree from an
>Ivy League school. With their
>average age being 54 (range
>of 42 - 66) a
>lot of these Brothas and
>Sistas came of age when
>HBCUs were a lot more
>relavant then they were now.
>Looking at the stats, it
>occurs to me that HBCU
>aren't producing leaders like the
>white schools are. That's all
>I really want to say
>about that.

If your concept of "leader" is limited to corporate CEO, you should strongly consider widening your understanding of that word.

If meory serves, Howard Law grads include Doug Wilder (former governor of VA, 1st black governor there), Thurgood Marshall (1st black Supreme Court justice), Sharon Pratt Kelly (1st black female mayor of DC...or ever?), some cat that became Secretary of the Army, and a bunch of folks I can't remember right now.

Howard undergrad has seen cats like Donny Hathaway (three years), Roberta Flack, Stokely Carmichael (aka Kwame Ture), Puffy (ha! one and a half years), Debbie Allen (first black female producer of a network TV series?) and a lot of people I can't even remember.

Let's see, I think Kwame N'Krumah (sp?) went to Lincoln, an HBCU.

Spike Lee and Martin Luther King went to Morehouse.

Yet you say HBCU's don't produce leaders? Get outta here with that shit...

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit

COMICS ARTIST NEEDED!!!!!!!! INBOX ME!!!!!

http://www.mp3.com/miscellaneousflux -
Just listen, you will believe...

"I don't denounce writtens, but freestyling at its essence is improvising. It's spontaneous, uncut, mind, thought, travel, energy - all at the same time...the thing is to be at a peak where your freestyle sounds like your writtens and vice versa" - Aceyalone on freestyling (Rappages, Sept. 95)