Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: TIPS FOR EUROPEANS part. 2
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=16066&mesg_id=16178
16178, RE: TIPS FOR EUROPEANS part. 2
Posted by M2, Wed Mar-28-01 07:56 PM
Culture in of itself isn't positive or negative, what's important is how people act within it.

I.e. Saddam Hussein may claim to be a Muslim and a product of Islamic/Arabian culture...but he for damn sure isn't acting like it. The US Vs. IRAQ conflict aside...he's done plenty of things in his own country that are without a doubt against the Quran.

That being said, any ideology/culture/religion/philosophy/government can be boiled down to a set of rules, concepts, etc. There are the 5 pillars of Islam, the Ten Commandments, the Constitution, etc.

So I ask you, what are the basic rules, concepts, pillars of your Afrikan culture? I'm a show me the good kinda guy, giving me a reading list and attacking my life isn't an answer. Giving me a list of concepts and rules shouldn't be too much to ask.

From my perspective all I hear is an idea, presented in somewhat Nebulos terms. I hear things like building communities...but that's nothing new..almost everyone says that. I've been hearing about this stuff for years now and no one really gives me concrete answers, ideas, constructs, concepts that depict what this thing is all about.

Everything boils down to something simple, complex digital circuts boil down to rather simple Boolean expressions, Islam while complex...can be 90% explained with the 5 pillars.

You've read alot, you've studied different peoples and cultures in Africa. I'm going to hazard a guess that you've created a composite image of those lessons into the Afrikan culture you speak of, by combining like elements of various cultures.

So it should be relatively simple for you to outline it for me;
I'm not trying to sound Daft but I keep hearing of this culture but NO ONE has really articulated what it's about....there have been attempts..but they are usually things that most cultures say in one form or another.

So, I ask you.....is a 5 minute outline too much for you? Or would you rather inform me of bankruptcy of my culture (which honestly is not something I think about on a day to day basis)

If we are going to have an intelligent debate, I feel we need to first identify WHAT it is that your culture represents and fundamental structure it is based on. Then we can say...ok with your way of life...this can't happen...with mine it would...etc, etc.

Peace

M2