Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectArghh: Part Two
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=16066&mesg_id=16176
16176, Arghh: Part Two
Posted by M2, Wed Mar-28-01 05:37 PM
#1. Africa is made up of so many different ethnic groups and countries that trying to invision African culture in a monolithic manner...is well...just plain stupid.

Africa is the most diverse continent on the planet, in language, cultures, ethnic groups, religions, physical traits, etc. There is no monolithic African culture, way of life, religion, creed or any other combination of things that would comprise a way of life. I would be able to take your "Afrikan Culture" ideas somewhat seriously if you would at least assign a specific geographic region, nation, tribe, culture, ethnic group or something to it.

What part of Africa did these ideas originate from? Western Africa? Eastern Africa? Central? South? Where? Did the Islamic religion have an influence? Judaism? (E.g. Jews of East Africa?) What?

#2. I've heard this stuff before and it often doesn't Jive with the realities of African Culture past or present. It seems analogous to a European person studying the Christian influence on Europe and saying.."Wow, what a friendly, spiratual culture. They lived their lives by the ten commandmants, there was no greed or war..what a great place"

All I'm hearing is a bunch of intellectuals who are sick of the way that American culture has treat them and are out to destroy it. In an effort to get in touch with their own roots, they are following another intellectual who has fabricated his idea of a perfect African..err Afrikan culture and/or is taking an selective view of various African cultures (E.g. only seeing what they want to see) and created a vision of an "ideal Afrikan Culture"

However, there are no specific examples...no historical context...no evidence of it's existance today...not specific teachings to go from....rarely a religious basis. It's just a mish mash of various things, and it always ignores the problems these cultures had. Again, it's like a European assuming all Europeans lived by the Bible...

Slavery started when Europeans went to the same Brothas they used to Buy gold from and bought some people as well. When we weren't as succeptable to the same diseases the Native Americans were, they bought more and more...colonization of Africa began and the rest is history. Just by the fact that Africans sold their fellow Africans into slavery proves they weren't perfect..so let's stop pretending they had some sort of "Ideal Culture"

I'm not calling out the fatter man, I'm pointing out that the Fat man should stop pretending he's Skinny.

Blacks have shaped American culture from day one, now is time (in my mind) for us to start benefitting from it more.

Think out of the Box, don't just see things from your view.... have I gotten defensive about my life? Nope, I've just said this what I'm going to do...take it or leave it. This is WHY I feel the way I do.....I'm defending myself to anyone..just presenting my motivations so my view is out there. You don't like it? I really could care less..BUT I will call you on your fantasies.....I'd like to see a perfect culture too...but it's nonsensical to misinterpret African culture as a means to achieve it.

I can see your perspective and why you want to Push an African culture....but I don't see where you're basing this from...especially due to the lack of evidence..and the fact that human nature transcends culture and race. Nothing that's happening in America hasn't happened in other cultures in way or another. Plus, I like Capitalism...it makes me happy... :)

Peace,

M2