Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectWrong!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=16066&mesg_id=16164
16164, Wrong!
Posted by M2, Wed Mar-28-01 08:09 AM
My little Private Northeastern School...(Lehigh) has old Money, Privelage and rich White Boy written all over it. It was full of em', we had the sons/daughters of Fortune 500 execs, CEOs, Sports Team owners and politicans.

The old Alumni were always around, always giving back (we're second in the nation in Alumni support) some old dude gave 25 mill to the school a year or so ago.

BUT, I know a TON of Broke Ass White Graduates. Why? Because the kid with connections like a George W. Bush is a rariety...even in a world of the offspring of millionaires. I know kids whose parents are loaded...who are barely making it, don't have jobs, living at home, struggling to find a job. OR are keeping their current job until they can find something better, even if they hate it.

SO the idea that all affluent White Kids live in this privelaged world, where everything is handed to them and they'll never have to worry about a job is a myth, nothing more...those kinda of kids are a rariety...probably a great less then 1/2% of any schools populaion. YES, they do have more connections then the avg, black kid and they can use those to get a job. BUT, these kids are my friends..and I know too many of them that are struggling.

While I will admit that a lot of them got help with some startup money, car co-signage and what not that a lot of Blacks don't get. They are still struggling and trying to carve out a life like the Black kids I went to school with. So they may have gotten to start out with a better car or apt, but 4 years after graduation...I see everyone just trying to make it.

If White Grads are never broke, what the hell is wrong the kids I went to school with? AND, why is My black behind doing better then most of them..with my own network....even though they have better ones?....maybe it's not as simple as race?

Maybe Mom will help out in a pinch, or you can crash at Mommas house....but these kids are still struggling...except for a small number of people...at some point you do have to succeed on your own

This kinda irks me, because this was at the root of most of the racial divison on my schools campus. The Black kids thinking that the White kids looked down on them because the majority of them got financial aid (just like the white kids) and the Black kids thinking that the white kids would just get things handed to them...(which they didn't). I mean the white kids weren't innocent too...but a gross misconception is a gross misconception.

Lata,

M2