Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectTwo sides to every issue
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=16066&mesg_id=16163
16163, Two sides to every issue
Posted by spirit, Tue Apr-03-01 05:03 AM
for every network of black folks who are wanna-bes at HBCUs, there's a circle of black folks with revolutionary ideas connecting thoughts and building as well, you dig? we got republicans, future revolutionaries, good samaritans, money grubbers, every kind of cat/clique at HBCUs.

I have gone to Howard (undergrad, then law school) since 93, with a year of working 97-98 school year.

I have seen the best and worse of it.

The good: like-minded black folks who want to help the community get to connect and build with other young black folks with various skills sets (ex: computer programming cat meets business student, they found Internet start-up together, whatever). If you believe in black capitalism or whatever, it's popping at HBCUs, for *some* (a lot of people just want gigs, though, like every other college).

The bad: assimilationist cats without much community consciousness or cats just there for the pussy (pun intended). Not that you can't be a little bit of this AND the above category (see Puffy, who went to Howard for three semesters and who runs Daddy's House (good) while pumping bullshit out of Bad Boy (not so good)).

I think HBCUs are a great place for young black intellectuals to connect and build with a racially conscious backdrop.

The girls look good as hell too. ;-)

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit

COMICS ARTIST NEEDED!!!!!!!! INBOX ME!!!!!

http://www.mp3.com/miscellaneousflux -
Just listen, you will believe...

"I don't denounce writtens, but freestyling at its essence is improvising. It's spontaneous, uncut, mind, thought, travel, energy - all at the same time...the thing is to be at a peak where your freestyle sounds like your writtens and vice versa" - Aceyalone on freestyling (Rappages, Sept. 95)