Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectMy thoughts
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=16066&mesg_id=16118
16118, My thoughts
Posted by M2, Tue Mar-27-01 05:59 PM
<li>The U. Mich issue: I don't think the potential end of AA is going to mean that Blacks are going to be denied access to secondary education...or that most will be. To say that means:
#1. Blacks can't get into good white schools
#2. HBCUs have lower standards.

While I do admit that a lot of Black students don't have access to the same level of education that white students do. I do think that there are a multitude of Black students that will still catch on somewhere. I do see the value of AA, but I'm not convinced that most Black students won't be able to get into the top schools.

I am concerned however, that some schools will use this ruling as an excuse to discriminate......

<li>I went to a mostly White Private School in the NE, and I plan on going to an Ivy to get my MBA. My choice was based on the quality of education, the possible contacts I could make and how potential employers would see my degree. (Most people don't think that last one counts, but it does...it opens doors...although once you're in the door..you have to make things happen)

The relevance of HBCUs was that at one time they were our ONLY choice, now this is no longer the case. For HBCUs to continue to be relevant, it is imperative that they raise their level of play and become educational institutions on par with the NYUs, the Standfords, The Columbias......and give Black students educational value besides....just being around around other Blacks.

If you ask me, the choice of colleges should be your stepping stone to building a career. Therefore, you want to get the best education possible. When you're in the classroom studying accounting, finance, engineering, psychology, biology, history, etc..you want the best people teaching you. You want to be around the countries brightest, and you want to be around a variety of people. In most cases HBCUs don't provid that (IMHO).

Even from a networking perspective, I don't think HBCUs compete..since a lot of the Top Black students attend mostly white schools.....and since I have no problem networking with whites as well.

From a real world perspective, Blacks are going to have to compete with whites....might as well get used to it in college. I don't care if you start your own business, or only work for Black owned companies...you will need to do business with whites, or sell to them if you are going to build an insitution, career, business..on par with the white ones. Even that the key to achieving real equality?

I'm not knocking anyone's choice of colleges, but for me HBCUs were not even an option. It wasn't about race, it was about the best education and what doors that education would open. Nor did I feel that I needed to be around all Blacks whilst in college, or fear losing my identity or to shield myself from White America. I intend to dominate in the Business world regardless of what my competition looks like...therefore I needed to get the best preparation. I don't regret my choice. Nor do I foresee myself regretting my choice when I go to an Ivy League for an MBA. Sense of self comes from within and from family......not from an HBCU.

Lata,

M2