Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: HBCUs: Do We Still Need Them?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=16066&mesg_id=16101
16101, RE: HBCUs: Do We Still Need Them?
Posted by skeenomvixen, Wed Mar-28-01 10:56 AM
Hell yeah we still "need" HBCUs! Actually, why wouldn't they be "needed?" This is college we're discussing, not an old pair of Lacoste pants that fit us when we were in the 6th grade.
Any institution of higher learning that can give us discipline in our studies and help us excel as human beings is definitely necessary.
And what is this concept of HBCUs not being integrated? Have you been to an HBCU lately? Do you know how many non-black students attend Southern University's Law School? It is regarded as one of the best in the country. Southern's undergraduate science programs are hot, too.
I am the only one out of my local circle of friends (except for a soror of mine that attended Clark)who attended an HBCU. Sometimes my friends make these stupid ass snide remarks about the perceived "less than quality" education that HBCU students receive. They say that our educations make us ill-prepared for the real world. Sadly, I think these statements are based on ignorance and bias. Ignorance comes into play when thinking that "the white man's ice is colder." Ice is ice, ya heard me?
I think that I had a quality education. 80% of my family members attended my alma mater, including my mom.
The teachers in my department (mass communications)were off the hook! They were live! They sought to instill in us the traits conducive to success in the tough (biased)world of mass media. Those of us who made it our life's volition to dismiss our instructors' advice had to repeat required courses, while the rest of us graduated in exactly 4 years.
These scenarios, those of students who do and don't do well in school for whatever reason, exist at all schools.
HBCUs gave me good legs to stand on. An HBCU humbled me. It reinforced the virtue of patience. It helped me learn more about black men. It made sure that when I wrote something, I proofread it carefully, because presentation is everything.
In short, it taught me lessons that I carry with me to this day. Most importantly, it showed me that I don't have to run to "the white man" to raise my esteem. HBCUs also showed me that it ain't all about step shows, football games, parties, beer busts and dancing to the latest bounce cut from Juvenile or DJ Jubilee with my roommates. Although those things were fun, real work (honing one's craft)was at the forefront of everything.
Please excuse this long diatribe. Obviously, I get kinda testy when people question the "validity" of HBCUs.