Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectHuh?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=16066&mesg_id=16099
16099, Huh?
Posted by Soul Brotha, Wed Mar-28-01 04:27 AM
>basically the gist of it is...segregated schools of ANY measure (all white/all black/all latino) can never benefit ANYBODY. Blacks that want to stay segregated and inferior feed right into the hands of right wing conservatives..socially and economically...<

Why would one consider an HBCU a segregated environment, b/c whites are not equally represented? I attended Howard in the late '80s, early '90s. Yes, the majority of students were African-American, but there were also students from other cultures. Does the fact that most of us had brown skin make it a segregrated environment? White people do not have to have a significant presence for there to be effective diversity (pluralism). Whites were adequately represented. A number of my professors were white.

>...went to a lot of the innercity elementary schools in detroit you could see why (they are 95% black)....the almighty dollar. (now i'm speaking on historically segregated schools, as I have never been to a HBCU campus)...Segregated Public Schools lack in books/teachers/classrooms/supplies/technology...not to mention the lack of diversity....I think we all benefit from learning about others cultures and differences...tolerance per se.<

I disagree with your logic. Comparing Howard University (& the like) to a Detroit public elementary school is a faulty analogy. As for diversity and tolerance, check my thoughts above.

Just thoughts.
peace.