Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: ...THE CONVO
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=15693&mesg_id=15704
15704, RE: ...THE CONVO
Posted by guest, Wed Apr-18-01 01:12 PM
Basically it seems the real story of Malcolm X would've been too uninteresting for the people to watch as a "historical epic".i speak with people who still won't watch the movie just because it's three hours long, BUT happily pay $7.50 to see GLADIATOR, and remember every part. He HAD to jazz the movie up and create/combine characters to make it entertaining, thus i felt this movie was for the masses, to get 'em "hooked".

Bamboozled on the other hand was targeted towards a smaller group of "those interested in their history" and the people who i noticed enjoying it most are those with some kind of personal integrity i.e. "real peopple" for lack of a better term. i saw two interacial couples in the theater and one walked out, and after seeing it one coworker drenched in Tommy everyday, said repeatedly that the movie was garbage! (i wonder why) How one movie offended on multiple levels (bamboozled), and the other a testament to a strong black presence in america (malcolm x) be so well received? they seemingly had two agendas, adn considering spikes attitude during the awards show, its like he was just pissed at what he saw going on and made a movie releasing some steam.

(((((PEACE)))))