Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectAnswers
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=15639&mesg_id=15664
15664, Answers
Posted by Solarus, Wed Apr-18-01 02:31 PM
Hotep

For the record I never thought you were avoiding those questions. I have so many questions, asked towards me and considering my schoolwork (that I have been avoinding) and other obligations, I put many of the questions on the backburner. The Merneptah and Ipuwer were not forgotten nor dismissed. I have been planning to make a post about it since "the Quran" thing went down, but I have been lazy. (BTW I thought I answered the merneptah question?) Anyways here it goes.

Q/A

1. what did kmt say about merneptah?

"Baenre Merneptah, the thirteenth son and eventual successor of Ramses II, was forced to repel a major foray into Kmt by a violent confederation of Sea Peoples--the perpetrators of rampant devastation in the eastern Mediterranean and northern Africa during the latter portion of the second millennium B.C.E." taken from Afrakan historian Runoko Rashidi's website:http://www.cwo.com/~lucumi/kmt4.html.

This was during the 19th Dynasty between the years of 1295-1187 BCE. The "Sea Peoples" were Indo-European invaders of KMT during the 19th and 20th Dynasties. They caused much destruction throughout the Mediterranean and North Afraka during the 12th and 13th centuries BCE.

2. what is the ipuwer text?

This took me awhile. Granted I don't read mdw ntr (hieroglyphics) so I am at the mercy of translations. The first thing I had to do is find out if the text was REAL and where I would be able to find it. The actual text is housed in the Leiden Museum of Holland, so it does "exist." Now time for validity. Because of many FORGERIES that have been made of KMTic documents/artifacts (see bust of Nefertiti or statues of Rehotep and his wife), it is entirely possible and probable that the document was created in modern times to validate Biblical propaganda. However the jury is still out on that I have found no tangible evidence to say it is a fake.

Now for the politics. When was this comparison to the Biblical/Quranic "plagues of Egypt" made and by whom? It was made by Alan H. Gardiner in his 1909 book, _The Admonitions of an Egyptian from a heiratic papyrus in Leiden_. Knowing anything about the field of "egyptology," one knows that:

1) Westerners/Europeans are trying to understand Afrakan thought from a Western perspective (see the sig).
2) Egyptology has been largely been influenced by propagandistic ventures thus leading to false, omitted and/or distortedhistorical facts.
3) Egyptologists at the turn of the 19th century were still in the early stages of the field thus had a very limited WESTERN understanding of the KMTic culture. (Western understanding is ALREADY limited in understanding non-Western culture.)

The ten plague-Ipuwer argument is solely based on Gardiner's work. He asserted that the work was a writing of an Kemite in the 12th dynasty writing problems of KMT during the 10th Dynasty. The 10th dynasty occurred during the First Intermediate Period which was characterized by internal governmental breakdown and decentration of power. (Note here that Merneptah was alive during the 19th dynasty).

Later with the increase of dating technology, the papyrus was dated as being within the 19th dynasty (Merneptah =19th,hmmm... read on). This was Gardiner's first mistake. More were to follow suit. With more KMTic documents in circulation and a general understanding of the different writing styles and genres used during each period, later Egyptologists as early as 1969, concluded that text is actually a FICTIONAL story allegory.
From Miriam Lichtheim's _Ancient Egyptian Literature_:

"The unhistorical character of the whole genre was recognized by S. Luria in an article that did not receive the attention it deserved. (*It's interesting that the article was not recognized. It was written in 1929.) Adducing strikingly similar compositions from other cultures he pointed out the fictional, mythologic-messianic nature of these works and the fixed cliches through which the theme of "social chaos was express....

Luria made the telling point that the description of chaos in _the Admonitions_ is inherently contradictory, hence historically impossible: One the one hand the land is said to suffer from total want; on the other hand the poor are described as having become rich, of wearing fine clothes, and generally disposing of all that once belonged to their masters."- parentheses mine

For a little more understanding. _The Admonitions of Ipuwer_ is the tale told by a Kemite named Ipuwer about the national distress that is occurring. In the end of the tale, the King of the land gives a speech to Ipuwer saying that the people of KMT are solely to blame for their problems and not any foreigners. In fact, he asserts that they have nothing to fear from foreigners as they fear KMT.

See why I procrastinated in writing this? DAMN, what time is it?!!

3. those questions from post #16 on "ancient light from africa"
thread.

I'll address them (particularly the African -Muslim conversion issue) in "GOD is IMMANENT" that I'll be writing shortly.

4. can you name one thing that HUMANS-AFRICAN OR OTHERWISE- HAVE CREATED THAT IS PERFECT?

Sankofa. "It is not taboo to go back and fetch what you have forgotten." This concept fueled by an Afrakan worldview are asserts that WE ONE WITH THE CREATOR. However the "intelligence" (which is a tool that we use and NOT the total extent of the FORCE that WE ARE) is what is limited. The concept of SANKOFA allows us to CONTINUALLY "fix" any mistake that our "intelligence" has caused.

Remember my old sig: "To be perfect is to lack nothing essential to the whole therefore I AM."-Solarus

PEace
Solarus

***Words of Wisdom***

"If it's not about NATIONBUILDING, it's not about ANYTHING."- Dr. John Henrik Clarke

"We are not the victims! We are just fighting forces that we cannot see!"-2001 Sankofa Conference

"You don't have the RIGHT to have free time from your children."-Kwame Agyei Akoto

"It is the worst feeling to hear the call of the drum and not be able to respond."-Solarus

On understanding Afrakan thought:
"it's like explaining astrophysics to a whino, the explanation can't be done like that. when people try to simplify it, they ask the other person to tailor the answers their cultural context. and trying to cater afrikan ideals to european understanding is a REAL sin."-utamaroho