Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: for utamaroho and solarus
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=15639&mesg_id=15648
15648, RE: for utamaroho and solarus
Posted by mrbozack, Tue Apr-17-01 07:47 PM
"if negroes dont get back to practicing the ways of our ancestors, they will never find themselves and will always be lost. "

Which ancestors? The people who once lived in Ghana? Or in the Congo? From 1000 years ago? or 400 years ago? or 4000 years ago? Perhaps the Nubians, south of Egypt?

Basically, you are saying that Islam was not a part of Africa and so it should be discarded as an innovation and intervention into the natural path of history that Africans would have led. CERTAIN MUSLIMS took part in perpetuating slavery, but read the work of Henry Louis Gates, Jr., and you will understand a remarkable discovery that he made: Prior to the arrival of Muslims or Christians (from Europe or Asia), Western Africa had an "intricate" system of slavery and slave trade amongst the indigenous populations. Muslims didn't create slavery in Africa. Nor did Christians. Nor did ancient African religious traditions. But the actions of certain individuals (of African descent, mind you) initiated the trade of slaves and began the system that the Certain Muslims and Certain Christians saw and exploited.

Islam did not encourage the slave trade. Nor did Christianity. Muslims and Christians did, because ALL humans are fallable and fall victim to poor judgement at some time or another.

You seem to be implying in this entire thread that Black people should return to the traditions of their ancestors. My question is this: Which ancestors, and from how far back? The religious traditions that you described were brought to the Africans from someone or somewhere or they were created by someone or some community. What about before the advent of those traditions? Why not return to the tradition predating that of which you spoke? Since it was there first, it is the TRUE tradition of your TRUE ancestors, right?

I'm just trying to point out the fallacies to which you are subscribing. I mean no offense, i just want to clear up some problems that i am having regarding your thought process.